-coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil, throw in some chopped garlic and cook until soft. Add either home canned or store bought roma beans, then salt and pepper to taste.
-bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer until the liquid has disappeared
- let the beans on the bottom carmelize slightly, being careful not to scorch them
- to hard boil eggs put them in a large saucepan and cover with about an inch of water, bring the water to a boil, cover the pan and turn the stove off. Let the eggs stand 20 minutes, drain and rinse in cold water then shell
- cut hard boiled eggs in half and scoop out the yolks into a bowl
- mash the yolks with mayonaise, yellow mustard (just a little) and a little creamy horseradish
- use a spoon or a piping bag to fill the white with this creamy mixture and top with a little paprika
2 cucumbers sliced thin
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
- Add all ingredients and chill for at least 6 hours. Add a thinly sliced onion if you want to. It will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator
2 cups granulated sugar
4 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
5 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup lard (or crisco)
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup whole milk
Heavy cream and sugar
- sift flour and salt. Cut in lard until it looks like cornmeal
- make a hole in the center of the flour and add beaten egg, vinegar and milk. Mix with fork until blended, you might need a little more milk. You can chill it at this point to make it easier to work with
-split dough in two and roll out on a floured surface. Dough should be as thin as possible. Line bottom of 9x13 pan. Pour in filling. Roll out your second piece of the dough and top the filling. Crimp bottom and top crusts and cut vents in top crust. Brush the top with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the pan on a cookie sheet. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 40 minutes.
- serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
we had grilled chicken and biscuits as well.
It was a good dinner and a good time. I won't ever forget the way we all laughed and enjoyed each others company. I look back and wish I had known I only had 14 hours left with my husband.